The adventures of Kurt, Sarah, Ethan, Reid & Leah

Cabin Adventure — part II

This post picks up where the last cabin post left off, sharing more about the cabin itself.

Once we finally got down and into the cabin, we had to get all the systems up and running. First was plugging in all of the radiators. There is electricity that serves the cabin at all times, but heat is from portable radiators that are turned on and off when coming and going. Next up was get a fire in the fireplace, water in the kettle, and hot chocolate in the kids. By the time we had gotten into the cabin and all out of wet gear, the kids had cooled off quite a bit and were rather grumpy until the fire was fully up and running and they had at least 2 cups of chocolate.


Kurt got the cast iron stove up and running and between everything, the place was quite toasty. So much so that by the next night we turned off the radiators and had to crack a few windows.



In one of the bedrooms we found a dollhouse and bin of small figurines. Leah set-up shop with this all weekend.

In one of the bedrooms we found a dollhouse and bin of small figurines. Leah set-up shop with this all weekend.

We spent our time in the late afternoons and evenings in the living room. The first day was rather cold and overcast but still quite fun to be outside. We had not thought out the meals too well so we wound up with two dinners of pølser, or hot dogs. Took us all about a month before we wanted another one.


Typical mealtime antics with the boys, while Leah continues her fascination with all things dipping — here she is experimenting with cucumbers in cocoa.

Introduced the kids to snow slushies per the recipe my Dad used to make for us. Snow + sugar + milk = yum



The branches above the cast iron stove were the drying racks for hats, gloves and socks whenever we came inside.


A view out one of the windows, like a fairy tale setting.

While there was electricity there was no running water inside. They have what is called ‘water to the wall’ which means it comes right up to the outside of the cabin, just like an outdoor water faucet. This one came just below the kitchen window, so whenever we needed water, we had to open the window, hook up the hose and turn on the faucet. In the end it wasn’t as much trouble as it sounds. There were buckets and basins assigned for bathroom and kitchen needs. The water is well water and since the electricity is on all the time, a small heater keeps the line from freezing.



And since there was no running water, there were no sinks that could be used without the water that was collected underneath being thrown out before you leave, nor was there an indoor toilet. This cabin has a composting toilet. As I understood, underneath the toilet (which looks like your average white porcelain toilet) is a big circular wheel with several dividers. Every few months they turn the wheel to fill up another divider. By the time the wheel goes all the way around, all of the ‘deposits’ have turned into mulch that can then be returned to the earth. There is probably a bit more in the treating that I missed but that is the jest of it. And this compost stays warm to help the decomposition process since there is electricity to the cabin all year. So while you definitely knew you were in a bathroom while in there, it wasn’t as if you were in an outhouse. The harder part was the fact that you had to come outside of the warm cabin to enter.

Going to the bathroom

Lots of cute homemade crafts all around.

Lots of cute homemade crafts around the cabin, the kids were itching to make some of these little wooden people.


The first full day there it was overcast all day hovering around mid-20’sF. It snowed about 4″ that night and by the next day we awoke to bright sunshine and a beautiful day. It felt warmer, probably low 30’s. In the next post we’ll put up some more outdoor activities pics followed by more pictures of snow-covered evergreens than probably anyone cares to see.

Leave a Reply